Nasal irrigation consists of a full wash of nasal passages with saline solution.
The anatomy of the nasal cavities allows a liquid penetrating through a nasal orifice to circulate through the nose and come out through the other orifice of the nose.
Nasal irrigation is indications are many! They include:
- Treatment of acute or chronic sinusitis or rhinitis caused by allergy, irritation or infection: it reduces nasal congestion, post nasal drip, bad mouth smell, cough, sneezing, and headache.
- Enhance the effect of nasal steroids.
- Reduce the need for medicated nasal decongestants.
- Improve nasal mucosa function through several physiologic effects, including direct cleansing; removal of inflammatory mediators; and improved mucociliary function, as suggested by increased ciliary beat frequency.
- Post surgical hygienic measure. e.g after nasal endoscopic surgery. It removes crusts and clots which could produce adherence & reduce nasal congestion.